Saints Cyril and Methodius Orthodox Church, a parish of the Diocese of New England of the Orthodox Church in America, was founded in Terryville, CT, in 1908 and a place of worship for the community has stood here on the corner of Fairview and Ames Avenues since 1912. The founders were immigrants of Slavic descent from Central and Eastern Europe who came to this part of Connecticut to work in local industries. Today the parish serves Orthodox Christians of diverse backgrounds from several towns and cities in west-central Connecticut, including Plymouth, Thomaston, Bristol, Farmington, Wolcott, Harwinton, Burlington, Torrington, Litchfield and beyond. The present church building was built in the late 1970s. The warm butternut wood interior is adorned with beautiful examples of traditional Eastern Orthodoxy iconography, including several large fresco-like pieces.
The core of our life is centered on worship. Orthodox churches still use forms of worship that were practiced in the first century. Our worship is based for the most part on passages from Holy Scripture. We sing all services, joining our voices in simple harmony to ancient melodies. Musical instruments are not used in church. Services are in English. Orthodox worship is filled with repentance, gratitude and unending praise. Guests are always welcome.
Every Saturday night beginning at 6:00 PM we sing Vigil, which begins our celebration of each Sunday as a feast of Christ’s Resurrection. The community assembles again on Sunday morning at 9:15 AM for the Divine Liturgy which is a Eucharistic service. It is here that the Church finds its vocation as the very mystery and sacrament of Christ’s presence. Here we partake of the Kingdom of God in all joy and gladness.
Come and see!
September 29th-30th, 2012 - 100th Anniversary Celebration
(See our new: Centennial Celebration webpage for details)
Click here to view Parish Vision - Mission - Values Statement
Click here to view Parish Handbook (May, 2010)